American Language Academy, affectionately known as ALA, is located in a pleasant leafy plaza between two of Madrid’s most popular barrios; Malasaña and Chamberí. Metros San Bernado, Quevedo and Arguelles (lines 1, 2, 4 and 6) are all within short walking distance.
Qualified EFL Teacher
for academy and in-company classes.
The Academy offers a variety of services, from general to professional English, mostly catering to an adult professional student body. Class sizes range from one-to-one to a maximum of seven students, and the school prides itself on highly personalized learning programs. Test prep (notably TOEFL and TOEIC), business English, short term immersions and work interview preparation, are some of the more specialized courses on offer. General English classes are available on a trimestral or monthly basis, are dynamic in nature, and further complemented by a calendar of social activities, such as tapas nights and workshops. The academy has a friendly, lively atmosphere, with a participative student body and an experienced, enthusiastic teaching team.
INFORMATION FOR NEW TEACHERS:
New teachers are given considerable guidance and instruction, with well thought increments in teaching responsibilities, according to their experience, progress and comfort level. Nobody is thrown in the deep end at ALA!
All teachers receive ongoing training, workshops, observation and feedback sessions, and have the opportunity to participate and extend themselves with teaching related projects. Many are currently involved in materials production for online learning programs, videos, and blog writing… for those wishing to add to their experience portfolio, opportunities abound at this rapidly evolving academy.
Teacher Training @ American Language Academy
The joint teaching and admin staff amounts to around fifty people, who hail from just about everywhere, though many have settled permanently or semi permanently in Madrid. In an industry notorious for high staff turnover and a transient workforce, ALA boasts a considerable number of long term employees, all of whom take an active interest in the integration and development of their newer colleagues.
BENEFITS FOR TEACHERS:
Apart from excellent training and all materials provided, other benefits for teachers include free Spanish classes, a rewards card (with discounts at local businesses), and staff events. The academy is bright, spacious, and climate controlled, has a computer room, WiFi, a staff room with individual storage space for teachers, and kitchen facilities (tea and coffee provided).
The academy is open year-round, the busiest period being the Spanish academic year; October through to June. The summer months are quieter, but work is usually available to continuing staff.
Full time teachers can expect paid holidays over Christmas and Easter, as well as several public holidays throughout the year. Timetables range from early morning to 9:30 pm, Monday to Friday, with individual preferences and travel time taken into consideration. There are a few Saturday morning classes (11:30 – 14:00), but Saturday teachers always have Fridays off, and two Saturdays free per trimester.
With respect to employment eligibility, ALA is looking for dynamic, communicative individuals, who are native English speakers with at least one university degree and a teaching qualification (TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA). Interested candidates who show potential during the interview process, but lack the required teaching certificate, are invited to partake in the ALA TEFL program, with the prospect of work experience/employment at the culmination of the course.
American Language Academy has a large number of North American teachers, but in general hires from almost all English speaking countries, providing the individual is eligible to legally work and live in Spain. Those already here on student visas are entitled to work part time, and, if they have had the student visa for more than three years, the academy can help convert this into a full time work permit. Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders with youth mobility/working holiday programs are welcome (and encouraged) to apply.
American Language Academy.
Plaza Conde del valle Suchil, 17 – Madrid, 28015.
+34 91 445 55 11.
Job / Employment title: Qualified EFL Teacher
for academy and in-company classes. Academy: American Language Academy. Webpage: http://www.americanlanguage.es. Location: Plaza del Conde del Valle de Suchil, 15-17, 28015.
Need the teacher by: Immediate Openings. Year
round hiring for qualified teachers.
Jan. 18 update:
Position Start Dates:
A) April 9th 2018.
B) October 1st 2018.
Minimum experience required: BA, TEFL qualifications,
Spanish Work Permit and 1 year of experience. Description of the academy: AMERICAN LANGUAGE
ACADEMY is a private language academy in the San Bernardo (Metro)
area. ALA was established in 1967 and has a reputation for a friendly,
professional work atmosphere. Class sizes are small and all materials
are provided to the teacher. There is an enormous teacher resource
library that includes a wide array of photocopiable materials,
video and audio resources as well as internet access for teachers
to use. Conditions of employment: Full-time and part-time
positions are available. Salary: Competitive salary; will be discussed
at personal interview. Contact information:
Assistant in Direction of Studies Dept.
This position requires a dynamic, motivated and proactive professional with leadership skills who will work with our Direction of Studies team. This position will provide you with the opportunity to develop your personal and professional skills in our academy for the long term, including the possibility of promotion to a Direction of Studies position.
The main responsibilities will be to:
· Participate in management and coordination of a group of more than 40 teachers.
· Provide extensive support to our staff of teachers.
· Provide orientation, training and development to new teachers.
· Develop and direct teacher development workshops.
· Organize and coordinate course programs.
· Coordinate lesson and objective planning.
· Design and develop new course programs.
· Create and prepare course materials and learning resources.
· Participate in the overall planning of the center.
· Act as an advisor and coach for students.
· Determine student levels and help in the coordination of groups.
Requirements: · University degree (preferably in Education, Educational Administration, Teaching, TESOL)
· CELTA or TEFL certificate (recommended).
· EFL teaching experience.
· Leadership and/or team management experience.
· Native English speaker.
· Communicative level of Spanish (written and oral).
We are looking for young and dynamic people with a native English level who are interested in education and the commercialization of educational services. The candidates must have the abilities to counsel students (adult professionals) as well as to design and coordinate educational programs related to languages and motivate each student to achieve his or her goals.
· Customer service and advice to students during the informational and enrollment process.
· Planning and creation of personalized educational programs.
· Teacher-student coordination and follow-up.
· Assessment, coaching, and motivation of the student during their learning process.
· Marketing and promotion of the educational services.
· Communication with students and teachers about programs and courses.
· Carrying out other language-consultant related tasks at our facilities in Madrid.
Schedule: Part-time schedule in the afternoons from Monday – Friday from 17:30-21:30, and one or two Saturdays per month from 10:30-14:00.
(Possibility of full-time schedule). Work contract with a fixed base and bonuses per completed objectives (Salary range for Part-time: 500-1000€/month).
· Proven experience in similar functions or recent university graduates, preferably with a degree in Education, English, Marketing, Sales, Customer service or Public Relations.
· Dynamic and proactive candidate.
· Native English level.
· High level of Spanish.
· One year of experience or training plan on incorporation.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (different options)
· EU Citizens
· Non-EU citizens with fully valid work permit for Spain
· Non-EU citizens holding a 1-year student visa
· Non-EU citizens holding a working holiday visa under the Youth Mobility program (we can help you get this visa)
· Non-EU citizens living for at least three years in Spain on a student visa (we can help you convert it into a work visa)